ALM PC 11 migration fails with ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
Trying to migrate all the projects from PC 9.52, located on a Win 2003 Server, using an Oracle 10g DB, into a new ALM-PC 11.00 deployment. The destination configuration is as follows:
– SRV1 with ALM 11.00 SP2, PC extension Patch 4v2 and Repository
– SRV2 with PC 11.00 PC Server Patch 4v2
– SRV3 with PC 11.00 PC Server Patch 4v2 and the ALM-PC Migration Tool version 5.00
All the ALM-PC servers are working on Win 2008 Server 64bits EN, using an Oracle 11g DB. The Lab Management System Health tool is reporting no errors. New ALM-PC 11.00 projects are in production and load tests are running.
The problem is with migrating data from the PC 9.52 projects. During the run of the PC Migration Tool every connection test passes (DB, File system, etc.) and when the migration starts the PC Lab Project data are imported with no problem (users, machines, etc…). However the migrated ALM-PC 11.00 projects are created but nothing is copied into them. The following Oracle error is displayed in the Migration Tool log file:
Failed","xxxxx","Project","19","xxxxx","Project Completion","26","xxxxx","Project migration interrupted: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied ; Project migration is not completed
The ALM-PC Migration Tool version 5.00 hits an unexpected condition. The ALM Site Admin default password "tdtdtd" was used during the ALM installation and deployment of the PC Extensions. This password was subsequently changed by the ALM DBA before the Migration Tool was run for the first time. The problem is the Migration Tool pcserver user is still passing the "tdtdtd" password to the ALM database but this is no longer valid. Consequently the Migration Tool fails with the ORA-01017 error.
A fix to the ALM-Performance Center Migration version 5.00 tool is under investigation.
The following workaround was proven effective in this case:
1. Delete manually all the projects created by previous migration attempts, including the PC_TEMPLATE_PROJECT
2. Go to the ALM Site Administration DB Servers page and click on Performance Center User Password
3. In the New Password dialogue box change the password to be tdtdtd and retype this again to confirm
4. Restart the ALM service
5 Run the ALM-PC Migration tool and migrate the Lab Project data in order to create properly the PC_TEMPLATE_PROJECT plus just one user project only
6. If step 5 is successful run the Migration Tool to complete the migration of all the user projects