Copy and paste defects from one project to another
In order to move defects from one TestDirector / Quality Center database to another, you can use the "Copy" and "Paste" functions to copy and paste defects from one instance of TestDirector to another instance of TestDirector.
1. Open one instance of TestDirector and connect to db1.
2. Open another instance of TestDirector and connect to db2.
3. With both databases opened, go back to the TestDirector instance with db1 and select the records from the grid that you want to copy. You can create a filter for the defects you want to copy. Right-click and choose "Select All" or go to Edit -> Select All.
4. Click on the Copy icon or go to Edit -> Copy.
5. Switch to the other instance of TestDirector with db2 and click on the Track Defects tab.
6. Click on the Paste icon or go to Edit -> Paste.
When copying defects, the Defect IDs are not copied. This is because these ID numbers are managed by TestDirector / Quality Center to maintain uniqueness.
The field type and field length of the corresponding fields in both projects should match in order to copy the data over. For more information, please consult your TestDirector / Quality Center administrator and the Open Test Architecture guide. For Quality Center 9.0, refer to the Mercury Quality Center Database Reference found in Quality Center under Help -> Documentation Library.
Additionally please note that this will only work if both projects have the same customization.